Forecourt Eye and GDPR
The Data Protection Act 2018 incorporating the General Data Protection Regulations (referred to below as the DPA) came into force on 25thMay 2018.
The new legislation significantly increased the legal obligations on both data processors and data controllers with the aim of strengthening protection for all individuals within the EU, in particular to protect the use of their personal data. There are substantial fines in the event of non-compliance.
This section provides an overview of how we ensure full compliance with DPA and contains capitalised definitions from our Privacy Notice.
We act as data controller for our national database of vehicle number plates relating to vehicles used in Criminal Drive Offs and repeat offenders of Civil Drive Offs/No Means of Payment. We create a personalised watchlist for our forecourt operator customers properties, so that they don’t have to worry about the responsibility of taking the sharing decision.
Above all, we carefully comply with the 6 guiding Principles set out in Article 5 of GDPR which in summary are:
Personal data shall be:
- processed lawfully, fairly and transparently;
- collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes;
- adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed;
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
- kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed;
- processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
Our expertly trained staff and highly secure systems and processes back up our promise to ensure our compliance with the 6 principles.
We work with businesses and police forces across the country and have had 2 years of experience creating the relationships and a reputation for honesty and integrity.
What we ask of our forecourt owner customers
We will ensure that once you have input your data to our system we will secure it and look after it in accordance with all legislation. In return we ask you to ensure that:
- your business is appropriately registered with the ICO;
- you sign and adhere to our GDPR compliant legal agreement which sets out our respective responsibilities whereby you are acting as a data controller when inputting and using your data and we are acting as data controllers for the different services available in the system;
- you display our compliant signage;
If you have any questions relating to data protection please do not hesitate to contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing: email@example.com.